Friday, March 16, 2012

A note to Judy from a Baker fan in New Brunswick


Hi Judy,

A couple of nights ago I decided to Google David C. Baker, as I met the man back in 1989. Sadly I read that he had passed away in 1999 of cancer, but read that you were doing a documentary. The man left an impression on me, and had some words of wisdom that I never forgot.

I was 33 years old back in 1989 and co-owner of a lumber business with my brother in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. A forester by education, I used to love to travel to the White Mountains once a year to escape the stresses of the business world. It was at this time in my life that I discovered Jackson, New Hampshire, together with my wife and our five-year-old son at that time. 

We absolutely loved the place and subsequently spent several vacations in the area in later years. One afternoon while walking through Jackson, my wife, Michelle, saw a painting in the window of a local ski shop, possibly named Jack Frost Ski shop. Michelle is a very artistic person and she saw something  special in that painting. 

We went into the store to inquire about the painting which I believe was $400 at the time.  The lady suggested that we visit David’s studio and that we did. What an interesting guy, who indeed treated us as friends from Canada, showing us more of his artwork and explaining his technique. 

Michelle told him how much she loved his painting at the ski shop. I really liked the painting as well but told David that I didn’t have $400 with me to buy the painting. David replied that because Michelle liked the painting so much, he wanted us to take it and we could send the money to him later. 

I replied that he was very trusting and that he was taking a chance that maybe I would never send the money. He answered that if that happened, I would have a larger problem than he would. I never forgot those simple words. 

I didn't take the painting, but when I arrived home in New Brunswick I called David and told him that I wanted to buy the painting as an early Christmas present for my wife. I sent him the money and had a truck driver who was picking up a load of pine for me in Lovell, Maine, drive over to Jackson and get the painting. 

The painting hangs in our home today and many people comment on it. I always tell the story of my conversation with David. I am retired now after a successful career. I spend my time sailing off the coast of NB and Maine during the summer and so it has been quite a few years since I have been back to Jackson. We have collected some very nice artwork over the years but our painting by David is one of our favourites. 

Just wanted to send this note to you because my personal encounter with David has stayed with me over these years.
                                                             
Regards,
Peter Mackay
Kingston Creek NB

No comments:

Post a Comment